Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Moments in time...


As a mother there are many moments good, bad, and indifferent that define who and what we are. Today, while I was driving to costco, I had one of those moments. Benjamin was making a strange noise, sorta like a "neah" sound I instantly knew that something was wrong, and luckily I was in a parking lot and able to pull over. He was totally blue, and not breathing, chocking on something ! Although I was freaking out, you'd never know it. At least the girls had no idea, they were whinning about their movie not being on.. Anyhow, remembering CPR for infants who are choking, I got him breathing, and than rushed him to the hospital. They did a series of tests, and an X-ray and determined that no harm done, and that he was fine. However, as we were walking out the doctor gave me a funny look, and asked me if there were any complications with ben when he was born. I told him that his right arm was up by his face, so he was sorta squished. He showed me the x-ray and pointed out a fracture on his clavicle that he probably got during birth. Honestly, Its a good thing this news was given to me today, and not two weeks ago. My hormones seem to be a little better right now, but I still feel terrible that he already has a broken bone, and I didn't even know. maybe thats why he was crying so hard at birth, and needed oxygen, or why he won't nurse on one side, or why he gets squirmy and cries when I change him..... What a day, I am just glad he made a noise or he might be dead right now, and this would be a very different post.

No comments: